HCEMS : Frequently Asked Questions
Welcome Guest
What should I do in an emergency?

Dial x4000 from any campus phone or (315) 859 4000 from a cell phone and report the exact location of the emergency (residence hall, building, room, etc.) as well as the nature of the emergency. Remain with the person while waiting for the EMTs to arrive.

What will happen if I call for a medical emergency?

Campus Safety will dispatch the EMT’s to the location of the emergency. The average time it takes the EMT’s to arrive at the scene is 3 minutes. The EMT’s will assess and treat the injury or illness following New York State Protocols and determine if further medical care is needed. For serious emergencies, the, EMT’s will call the ambulance to transport the student to a local Emergency Department.

For injuries or illnesses that need further medical care but do not require ambulance transportation, the EMT’s will advise the student to go to the Student Health Service if the emergency is during the hours that the Health Service is open. On weekends and evenings/nights, the EMT’s will provide directions for a friend to drive the student to a local Emergency Department or Urgent Care. If no one is available to drive the student, Campus Safety will arrange taxi transportation which is paid for by the Student Health Service.

Do I have to go the hospital?

If the injury or illness needs further medical care, the EMT’s will advise you of this. You may refuse care if you are 18 years or older and are not under the influence of alcohol or other mind altering drugs and are mentally alert.

Many injuries are very minor and the EMT’s will treat the injury and will advise the student to go to the Student Health Service in the morning.

When should I call for the EMTs

Call the EMT’s for anyone who is unresponsive.

Call the EMT’s for anyone experiencing difficulty breathing, chest pain, uncontrollable bleeding, an allergic reaction, a diabetic reaction, burns, ongoing severe pain or seizures.

Call the EMT’s if you suspect a sprain, fracture or dislocation, an overdose/attempted suicide or sexual assault.

If you have any doubt about whether or not you need the EMT’s, it is best to call them and let them assess the situation.

Should I call the EMTs for an inebriated student?

If you see anyone experiencing the following symptoms, call the EMTs for medical help. Remember, if you are ever unsure about a friend, call the EMTs for help.

  • Unconscious or semi-consciousness.
  • Unable to maintain a conversation.
  • Unaware of time, date, location, name, etc.
  • Unable to walk or maintain balance.
  • Slow respiration (breaths) of eight or less per minute or lapses between breaths of more than eight seconds.
  • Cold, clammy, pale or bluish skin.

When is HCEMS on-call?

HCEMS is on-call 24 hours a day during the school year including orientation week and senior week but excluding breaks. During the summer and winter break, HCEMS is closed.

Does calling for the EMTs cost money?


In an Emergency, Dial x4000